Thursday, July 1, 2021

Story pitch by Anna: How can parents support their special needs children when/as they grow older

6/30/2021

Hello Helen, 


I've thought of an article idea that I am interested in writing: how to take care of your special needs child when they're older (as in 20+ years old). I realize that is a pressing issue for many families, and I hope that this article can help ease their minds a bit. I remember you wanted readers to have more information about each of the FCSN programs. This article can be a good opportunity for families to learn more about the adult services FCSN offers. 

I can't decide whether this article is best written with interviews or just purely from information I research online. What do you think?

Regarding the Guidelines team for FCSN Reporters, I would love to lead the team. Thank you for the opportunity!

Best,
Anna


Helen replied on 6/30/2021

Your pitch is very good, I am sure that question concerns a lot of parents. However, the scope of this topic can also be very broad and ambitious. This question can be asked from various different angles:
* After they graduate from the school system, what to do with all their time? Just sitting around doing nothing will lead to depression. Parents should think about how to provide structure for the SN individual so that they may lead a healthy and fulfilled life. FCSN's Adult Day Programs may be good choices for them and provide a good structure for their time. 
* After they become adults, does that mean that they get to make their own decisions? This will explore conservatorship. 
* After graduating from the school system, employment is the natural progression in people's life stages. What are the options for SN individuals? 
* The parent and child relationship may change as the SN individual transitions into adulthood and becomes more independent. What are the changes that parents should be aware of? How should parent and child prepare for the changes? The inevitable question would be to prepare for the day when parents won't be around anymore. 

Let's discuss this topic during our next meeting on 7/11. I'd like to hear Jim's opinion on this, I am sure he can give us good advice regarding which angle to take, and also potential people to interview.  You can start thinking about what angle you'd like to approach this topic and do some preliminary research online. 

We have many new story ideas as well which we will discuss on 7/11. I'll invite you and Sara to join if you are available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Articles on donations to FCSN

Frequently, FCSN receives donations from other organizations. Donations may be in monetary form or supplies and equipment. In these cases, w...